Friday, February 04, 2022

U.S. ADVERTISING EMPLOYMENT FELL IN JANUARY

 https://adage.com/article/datacenter/us-advertising-employment-fell-5900-jobs-january/2397561

I found this article outlining the trends in employment for US advertising. I found it particularly interesting that the jobs fell off a cliff at the beginning of the pandemic (where they were presumably at all time highs), but have since recovered fairly consistently until this past month in Jan 2022. I would have thought the jobs would have been at higher levels over the past few months given the increased focus on ecommerce and online ordering. If I had to guess, I would assume these trends are instead showing the layoffs that many businesses had to undergo in the early days, and have only slowly, incrementally regained the employee counts that were seen prior to the pandemic. On top of this, this chart may also be an indication of the massive scale that digital advertising has with limited employees - and if a framework is followed, a few people can do the job of many. It is my understanding that a lot of the work being done across digital marketing is knowing what data to track and reacting to it accordingly, and I think that the trends shown in this chart are a reflection of that. With all the being said, it is interesting to see the employment fell again in January. If I had to venture a guess, I would assume this is related to the latest strand of coronavirus, and the impact that it ultimately is having on businesses financial performance - and thus capacity to hold onto employees. 


No comments: