Thursday, November 17, 2022

Chief Twit

The past couple of weeks, I’ve been obsessively following Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter. Elon Musk is a polarizing character – but whatever your perception of him, he has established a reputation as an effective executive that has an inspiring vision for the companies he leads (and a vision for the future of humanity at large). Twitter is an incredibly important platform in our society; it’s as close as we have to a “public square”.  


Perhaps the most challenging issue at hand for Elon and Twitter is its ability to return to profitability. Furthermore, Elon’s has proclaimed he will do this with only a minority of the revenue coming from advertising. I am not a digital marketing expert, but based on my instincts – complemented by what I have learned in this class – I am very doubtful as to whether this can happen. Twitter currently makes such a small proportion of its revenue from non-advertising streams that its challenging to imagine a near to mid-term future where such a revenue is possible. 


With that said, a hallmark of Elon’s leadership is his ability to achieve the unachievable, and I don’t think anyone would underestimate his determination to succeed. It will be interesting to see where Twitter is at in 12-18 months… I will be watching!


No comments: