Tuesday, March 07, 2023

The Future of Virtual Influencers

*** I USED CHATGPT TO WRITE THIS!***

The prompt I put in can be found at the end. I wanted to do some research on virtual influencers (or “vinfluencers”) because our last class was the first time I’d ever heard of them (even though I work in influencer marketing…), so I wanted to learn more. 


Virtual influencers have already started to gain popularity on social media platforms, and it is possible that they may become even more mainstream in the future. Virtual influencers are computer-generated characters or avatars that are designed to appear lifelike and interact with their followers in a way that is similar to human influencers.

Virtual influencers offer several potential benefits for brands, including greater control over the content that is produced, reduced risk of influencer-related scandals, and the ability to create unique and innovative campaigns that may not be possible with human influencers. Additionally, virtual influencers can work 24/7 and do not require payment or management in the same way that human influencers do.

However, there are also some potential drawbacks to using virtual influencers, such as the fact that they may lack the authenticity and relatability of human influencers, and some consumers may find them off-putting or unappealing. Additionally, the technology required to create lifelike virtual influencers is still relatively new and expensive, which may limit their adoption by smaller brands and influencers.

Overall, it is difficult to predict with certainty whether virtual influencers will become mainstream, as it depends on a variety of factors such as technological advancements, changes in consumer preferences, and the overall evolution of the influencer marketing industry.


I agree with all of the pros and cons that ChatGPT mentioned, but I would probably add the role that virtual influencers will play in web3 and the metaverse. I believe that is where their adoption will be the most widespread, and then it will eventually trickle down into our real universe. I also think the technology will need to evolve in order for them to really catch on within mainstream marketing because right now they look…unsettling. On the other hand, however, I think any brands willing to make a big bet on virtual influencers might eventually benefit from the “first mover advantage,” allowing it to become a dominant player in the largely untapped space for years to come. 


I am also curious about how programmers/developers will handle aging with vinfluencers—for example, Lil Micquela was 19 when she first created her Instagram account in 2016, and her Instagram bio still says that she is 19 seven years later. I think this could be a rare opportunity for brands since this is something humans cannot do. I think it would be interesting for brands to use a vinfluencer who doesn’t age in order to acquire audiences from every generation rather than have him/her “grow up with” the people they attract. I am very eager to see how brands will handle this in the future!


Source: https://www.instagram.com/lilmiquela/



In my first prompt I actually referred to them as “vinfluencers” like I heard in class, and ChatGPT thought they were wine influencers! See below:


No comments: