Saturday, January 25, 2020

Shawn Kemp #Seattlesupersonics #shoes #DigitalMarketing #Whoislistening #Goldfarb

Shawn Kemp - talk about a blast from the past. I haven't said that name since I was a kid rocking the new size 5 "Penny Hardaways" (see below). My brother loved Shawn Kemp - #40. Why am I talking about this as it relates to digital marketing??

1. There is no way Goldfarb's blog post should get the most views! So I'm stepping up the #content. challenge accepted.
2. I want to share an interesting story about my experience with Shawn Kemp last week that made question our understanding of digital marketing security....

I flew down to Atlanta for a five hour meeting, exciting as always. I sat down in the room and started some small talk. The meeting wasn't going particularly well - I needed something to liven the conversation a bit. As I searched around the room to change the topic, I notice the CEO of the company has a retro Sonics Sean Kemp mug. It was fantastic. The only mug that is better is Michael Scott's "World's Best Boss". Let's be honest, The Office is the best show on earth, undisputed. Did you know his diploma in his office says "Proud owner of a Seiko timepiece" (also, see link below). I hope Columbia gives me one of those... Anyway, I digress.

Back to Shawn Kemp - - I found my conversation starter, my in to getting to know this management team better. So instead of asking about the company, numbers, growth plans, etc. I decide to bring up the origins of the Kemp mug. This spirals into a 30 minute conversation on the Sonics.

With tons of electronics in the room (8 phones, 8 laptops, etc, etc.), I can't help but wonder who is listening. 8 siri's started listening at some point. I don't recall anyone saying Hey, Siri....but she was listening. Maybe someone said "SERIously" and she was activated. I'll never know. But what I do know is I boarded the 8:30PM flight back to LGA and I got an Instagram ad for Sean Kemp. There was a fun fact about when the Sonic's left Seattle. I almost threw my phone away at that moment and switched to burner phones only.

Coincidence? I think not..... I haven't said that name in 10 years, other than this day. Where did this ad come from? I'll never know...but I'm never speaking again until I figure it out.

Anyone else?

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-penny-2-333886-041

https://www.google.com/search?q=proud+owner+of+a+seiko+timepiece&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim3vLH4J_nAhXMY98KHREtAgcQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=2000&bih=1144&dpr=1.5

No comments: