Saturday, January 25, 2020

Updates to Google UI

Google recently announced that they will be rolling back an update to their desktop UI that made it difficult for users to realize if search results were organic or paid.  Users gave immediate feedback on the redesign and Google acted quickly to the complaints by announcing they were rolling back the update.  "Last week we updated the look of Search on desktop to mirror what's been on mobile for months. We've heard your feedback about the update. We always want to make Search better, so we're going to experiment with new placements for favicons," Google said in a tweet Friday.

I am happy to see Google make this update and act on user feedback so quickly.  As a search user, I don't like the idea of not being able to tell if a result is organic or a paid advertisement.  I find myself scrolling down the page a lot to see what comes up organically when I am searching for something.  I don't think I would trust Google results as much without the ability to tell if a result was organic or not.

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-walks-back-search-results-design-changes-following-criticism-2020-1

No comments: