Friday, August 03, 2018

Walmart Takes a Bite Out of the Big Apple

Walmart to Enter NYC - With E-Commerce

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania; and like most of America, my family made regular "runs to Wal-Mart".  Honestly, when I meet people who are born and raised in the NY-Metro area, I cannot fathom living an entire life without Wal-Mart because to me, it's a staple.  In the 7 years I've come to call NYC home, I've obviously adjusted - but I still have a habit  of "stopping by Wal-Mart" every time I visit home to stock up.

Now, Wal-Mart is making a move to chase the business of us city-folks.  Last month, Wal-Mart/Jet.Com announced that it is building a e-commerce fulfillment center in The Bronx (Fall 2019).    Additionally, Jet.Com in NYC will work in tandem with Parcel (purchased by Wal-Mart in 2017) to provide same-day grocery delivery services. AND - also in 2017, Wal-Mart partnered with Latch (a NYC start-up, like Parcel), that would allow keyless entry to buildings without doormen; obviously a huge obstacle for the city.
"Walmart is linking its acquired startups together as the retail giant's plans to finally invade New York City are becoming more clear."
The planned warehouse will have capabilities like same-day groceries and same-day or next-day deliveries on consumables and other merchandises.  This is a huge move by Wal-Mart, and it's odd to think that the nation's largest retail store isn't present in the nation's biggest city.  These efforts also speak to Wal-Mart's goal to better reach millennials.

Watch-out Amazon, Wal-Mart is SERIOUSLY after New Yorkers...

No comments: