Friday, October 21, 2022

Click Here to Automatically Receive $1,000,000 💰

In the spirit of today's discussion in class about catchy subject lines, I thought it would be fitting to see how many people I could get to open this post by going with the most absurd subject line that came to mind. My hypothesis: this will be one of the most viewed articles of the semester, yet one of the least enjoyable reads for most of my classmates (sorry!). 

So the actual topic that I wanted to write about today is Oktoberfest -- specifically their lack of digital marketing presence. I recently attended Oktoberfest as part of the CBS Munich International Seminar and it was an incredible experience that I will remember for a lifetime. On the way back, I was looking online at some of the social media and press media coverage of the event and came upon this article: "Oktoberfest 2022 was no record year". It got me thinking about why they had a weak turnout, especially after a 2 year hiatus due to the Pandemic. 

After just a few moments of browsing, I realized that Oktoberfest (as a brand/company) has almost no digital presence whatsoever. Perhaps they have relied too heavily on word-of-mouth marketing in the past and need to evolve their strategy to focus further on digital. 

To give you an idea, the official Oktoberfest Instagram account has less than 150k followers, which is shockingly low considering (a) millions of people attend their event every year and (b) the highly "Instagrammable" nature of the event. To increase their digital presence, they could easily partner with influencers, do sponsored ad campaigns or leverage their many co-sponsorships.

As a reward for clicking this post, here's a photo of us at Oktoberfest... "Prost!"




No comments: