Friday, January 18, 2019

Not Fake News....The Government Shutdown and it's affects on Aviation


On January 19th, the US closed out the 29th day of the longest shutdown in our government's history and while many people have not yet felt the impact of the shutdown, aviation has been affected.  No I'm not referring to President Trump cancelling Speaker Pelosi's trip to Europe and the Middle East, I'm referring more about the 54,000 workers affected at the Department of Transportation including the TSA and the FAA.

While critical FAA functions including air traffic control services, safety oversight and the FAA Registry are continuing to function, numerous activities at FAA are suspended.  TSA workers are continuing to work, albeit without pay!

Today when I travelled through Savannah, GA the TSA were surprisingly very short and when I spoke to one lady she I thanked her for working through this shutdown, she  surprisingly responded that she thought the shutdown was the right thing to do and she hoped it would be over.  

I'm hoping when we return to class next week that #governmentshutdown is over and the good folks at TSA receive all of their backpay!  

No comments: