Friday, May 22, 2009

Facebook and YouTube Advertising Suggestions

There has been a lot of talk about how YouTube can’t monetize content well(http://searchengineland.com/youtube-is-broken-heres-how-to-fix-it-18272) how even the Facebook inventors do not know how to monetize their 175+ million subscriber customer base. I have a couple suggestions.

1) Facebook, you know your subscriber and viewer, so why not take advantage of this? In Facebook, you know their city, their age, and you can even get information about behaviors in Wall posts and wall to wall communication behaviors and more about the user. Even subject lines in photo posts can indicate more about each user.

Take this behavioral information and come up with smarter ads. For example, if I post an Album on Facebook called "Our baby" it is safe to assume that I would be more willing to click on an ad for $10 off diapers than I would one offering some obscure “pink tank top”. This could also be as simple as analyzing my daily updates. If I post that I am at the bar or a baseball game, it could be assumed that maybe a deal on Yankees tickets next week and two free beers would a more appealing ad than how to “do business in Queens” (also an actual ad).

2) YouTube can also take a page from this "know your viewer better" mentality. It is hard to determine content from videos using software programs, so collecting simple data could help. Right now on YouTube I can post a video, call it whatever I want, and provide no data whatsoever to indicate what the content is about.

For example, If before I wanted to post a video a skateboarding jump, I indicated to YouTube that this was a video of me, skateboarding, and even had to provide information about me skateboarding- what brand, what area, then it should be easier to approach skateboarding companies with the data that for example, over 1 million skateboarding videos with your brandwere seen last month on YouTube, how about an ad next to the video or pre or post roll?

The rule for both suggestions is not to pull a gmail and start “reading my emails” keep it personal but don’t cross the line. Just use the obvious for behavioral data such as Wall posts and Albums and other non-email forms of user’s information. If my 168 friends know that I had six shots of vodka last Thursday than I probably won’t be as bothered by one more “adfriend” telling me about dollar shots at Happy hour in a local bar by my area.

No comments: