Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wolfram Alpha - More Analytics than Search...

just thought I'd take a look into Wolfram Alpha, since it was brought up in class on Tuesday and while it has blown me away in some parts, namely the amount of quantitative information that comes up, it hasn't been very user-friendly for me.

For example, since we're so in tuned with search engine-type searches, ie you'd type a name and expect articles to come up, Wolfram Alpha comes up with numbers for it instead. In my mind, for a split second, I thought that the search was irrelevant, but again, wolfram Alpha is primarily a quantitative search. This is a niche area that Google is not focused on and when the adoption rate of Wolfram Alpha picks up, we'd see some real competition.

Here's a link from mashable.com on how to optimize your search on Wolfram Alpha, enjoy!
http://mashable.com/2009/05/19/wolfram-alpha-better-than-google/

No comments: