Friday, February 05, 2016

Wearable Tech

I recently received a FitBit as a gift and have become a true believer in the advantages and disruptive nature of wearable technology. The device passively collects data on my heart rate, steps taken, stairs climbed, and even my phone calls. It knows my every move and constantly communicates with my phone and computer.  As wearable devices continue to evolve and improve, I'm very curious to see how digital marketing evolves to capitalize on the immense amount of data that wearables capture. Given that wearable devices aim to reduce the time between intention and action, it's only a matter of time before marketing strategies evolve to leverage the behavioral information gathered by wearables to predict our behavior. I have a feeling that in the not so distant future, my suite of connected devices (including my wearable) will be clever enough to know what I want for dinner, when I’m getting sick, what time I should go to sleep to be fully rested, who I want to call, what I want to listen to, and where I want to go. Advancements in wearable tech will continue to expand the methods that marketers employ to analyze and influence customer behavior.

No comments: