Thursday, February 20, 2020

Reccs


I love getting recommendations based on my online activities. It feels a little like taking one of those personality tests where they ask the the same question 100 different ways so that eventually you start answering honestly and not aspirationally. Then at the end of the test you find out your true personality -- underneath what you *think* you are. Are you really a Slyterine when you thought you were a Hufflepuff? A Miranda and not Carrie (btw, no one is ever Carrie. Ever. Nope, not even you.)? Recommendations engines follow you around like little scientists in white lab coats and clipboard observing your every move. And often times they are spot on or pretty close. But one company that uses recommendations in a way I just don’t understand. To set the stage: I’ve just purchased something online after doing some research on the best brand or product. Why then, would the recommendation come after I’ve checked out? I JUST pulled the trigger on my purchase, why are you showing me what other products I should have considered? Every time I see it, it just annoys me and makes me second guess my purchase. And I genuinely don’t understand the reasoning behind doing this. What is the desired effect here? That I go back and cancel the first item and continue my research? Or is it that I buy a comparable product and do some product comparison testing at home? Am I suppose to remember it for the next time I purchase this product? Whatever the reason, I think rather than suggest more of the same, the site should do things to make me more secure in my recent purchase. Maybe show me complimentary products that would go well with what I’ve just purchased, not substitutes. 

No comments: