Monday, September 28, 2020

5 Reasons SMS is THE Marketing Channel for DTC Brands in 2020

https://medium.com/conscious-capitalists/5-reason-sms-is-the-marketing-channel-for-dtc-brands-in-2020-f98cf4f80b0f


The one statistic that was repeated multiple times throughout the article was "95% of text messages are opened within 90 seconds of being sent" - and for good reason. The speed to reach a customer, and access to them on a platform they check regularly yields a massive ROI for the channel. While receiving texts from a store seems borderline too personal, I am signed up to receive texts from a few brands that I frequent. While I do not purchase items every time I receive a message, I do open the messages and browse periodically. When brands send details of flash promotions, I open more regularly.

Why don't more brands use the text messaging model? While I would not want to receive a text from all of the brands that I have subscribed to for email promotions, I do not open most emails from this group of stores at all. The cost of the text messaging marketing system relative to the email marketing platform would be something to consider; even if text message marketing is more expensive, the ROI of sending texts to a select group of loyal customers that opted in seems like it would be higher than sending an email to the entire customer base. 

Another limitation of text message marketing could be the design capacity. Brands might feel weary about the lack of creative elements that could go into a text message compared to an email. While I have seen some brands/companies have engaging, fun texts (like Paperless Post invitations), I am not sure about how companies could inject their brand codes in a text. I have noticed in the texts that I receive from brands, the brands usually use a photo/GIF/animation and then a block of words, as opposed to an email where there is not a limit to how many different elements can be added. 

Despite the limitations, text message marketing is a personalized, rapid channel for communication to loyal customers. 

No comments: