Thursday, March 04, 2021

Is B2B Marketing Dead?

As corporations are able to reach out to prospective customers more easily with targeting marketing pushes to certain audiences, is there still a place for B2B marketing? 

After a recent interview I participated in, I was told that the company was not proceeding with my candidacy because they had other candidates with "more direct, B2B marketing experience". This led me down a path of internal exploration around the difference between B2B and B2C sales and marketing. While, yes, a marketer needs to be cognizant of their audience and businesses make decisions differently than standalone people, when it comes to awareness, doesn't a more B2C approach fare the marketer better? In the end, we're marketing to people, not businesses, right? 

I remember scrolling through my Instagram feed in early 2019 and seeing an ad for AirTable. I thought it was strange since I don't have the need to create a relational database for my personal life. That being said, however, soon after seeing the social ad I found myself discussing pain points of event planning with a team at work. Their complaint was that their tracking sheets in google were siloed and found them dreaming about a future where their different sheets could be joined somehow. The ad for an easily-set-up relational database that links sheets together (AirTable) came to mind. I'm not sure how AirTable was able to find me with their targeting, but they acquired a very valuable customer that day.

In her recent blog post "Has the Customer Journey Killed the B2B Marketing Sales Funnel?", Alison Fetterman investigates this idea from the lens of thinking through the different ways people move from being aware of a product/service through the different stages of the marketing sales funnel to (hopefully) an eventual purchase. She details "The funnel creates a guide that informs marketing and sales what the best next steps are...In short, it encourages us to think strategically, rather than tactically." She goes on to say, "[w]e can use the customer journey to inform our understanding of the customer and the funnel to better define the business impact our programs are having." I'm fairly certain I wasn't on any of AirTable's defined customer journeys but by applying the idea of the marketing sales funnel more broadly, they were able to acquire a customer and a solid sales lead into Columbia College.


No comments: