Monday, August 04, 2014

On Shopping Cart Rescue and Discounts...

Shopping cart rescue tactics have been a great way to re-engage consumers who almost bought something on a website but never converted.  The legend goes, according to Professor Kagan, that if you put something in your cart and then leave the site and start browsing the web or going back to that thing you call a job that you can likely force the site to offer you an added incentive to complete the sale.  This "free money" secret implies that the website will try a variety of tactics to re-engage you, including offering incentives such as discounts or free shipping, to get you to complete the purchase.

One example of a rescue tactic includes display ads that follow you around the web, tempting you with that dress you had thought would look great on you for your friend's wedding.  Another way is to email you directly, asking the shopper directly if they forgot to complete their purchase?  Revolveclothing.com recently sent me an email titled "Did you forget something?  Shop the rest of your cart!  A day later they sent me an email titled "You left something behind!  Shop the rest of your cart!"

While I've been reminded constantly of the items I leave in my cart, what I cannot seem to make happen is the sudden 20% discount on that purple dress I've been wanting.  Apparently, because these sights seem to be aware of my shopping addiction, they've decided I don't necessitate any extra discount in order to convert...  ;)

No comments: