Monday, August 04, 2014

Those frustrating consequences of the rise of mobile

Killing some time on my phone no less, I came across a highly entertaining post on BuzzFeed: 31 Reasons You Should Get Rid Of Your Smartphone Immediately

I couldn't help but laugh out loud and so many of the bizarre ways in which smartphones have changed the way people behave.  That feeling when you feel your phone vibrate while you are in a meeting and suddenly you are so distracted thinking about what the email or text may have been. The frustration I feel when I see my battery on my phone is low but I don't have my charger with me.  The blinding flash of another person in a restaurant taking a picture of their dinner to post online.  Restaurants are now linking the slower turnover of tables to people lingering while checking their smartphones at the table, as recently featured on Eater.com.  People may use smartphones to find a restaurant, but restaurants are also blaming them for bad service!

I have no interest in getting rid of my smartphone, but I did enjoy this BuzzFeed list to provide perspective on how reliant on them people have become.  It is a good reminder that, useful as they are, we could all benefit from unplugging a little more, every once in a while...

No comments: