Saturday, September 17, 2011

How to Leverage Social Networking to Get Your Next Job

How to Leverage Social Networking to Get Your Next Job <---Click Here

I find this article as a great starter to my blog since it sets the tone for future posts. Most people know the importance of Facebook and Linkedin for networking purposes, but I will introduce you to more creative ways to utilize social media to find your next job.

Twitter, in my opinion, is a media site that is under-utilized for job search. When people think of Twitter, they think of postings which include what they are doing at that time, re-postings of interesting articles, etc... (Similar to a blog). It was only recently that my wife introduced me to Twitter as a resource for job searching. Consider this, to be considered an insider in the industry you are looking for a job in, you must stay connected to numerous websites, magazines, and forums. The easiest way and most efficient way to to do this by opening a Twitter account and following all these magazines, websites and other news articles relating to your target industry. For example, I can now via Twitter follow and read articles relating to the financial industry on the New York Times, WallStreet Journal, Barrons, Seeking Alpha, and Bloomberg. In addition, Twitter allows me to follow industry personalities such as Susie Orman, Jim Cramer, and Warren Buffett. All this information is available to read through my Twitter application on my Blackberry whether I am on the bus going to NYC or at my lunch break. Having access to all this information was impossible prior to Twitter.

My next blog post will cover the very unique way to use Linkedin for job search.

No comments: