Saturday, June 18, 2011

Email Marketing..An undervalued digital marketing tool

         Last week I sent out a mass email to all my customers in order to promote my products for Fathers day. My cost to send out over 10,000 emails was a $75 monthly fee to the email company and the salary of my assistant for the time he spent drafting the email. The email company tracks my emails, lets me know which ones were opened and through the code used in the purchase, I am able to quantify the leads that I received through email marketing. With such an insignificant expense and a decent return, I believe that email marketing is not being given the respect that it deserves.
       Adword marketing is expensive and does not guarantee sales as I was forced to learn the hard way. SEO marketing is a slow process that takes a lot of time and effort. Email marketing on the other hand is fast and seemingly effortless. Anyone can draft an email and include promotional messages. The trouble is that today we receive many emails throughout the day. It seems easier to delete promotional emails then read them. Also, as Professor Kagan mentioned, if we catch a customer on a bad day, we face the chance that the customer might click the dreaded unsubscribe button.
        In order to prevent this from happening, I have reduced sending out emails to only four a month.However, I believe that email marketing has great potential and I look forward to hearing Professor Kagan speak on how to capitalize on this asset in digital marketing.

1 comment:

Kudge said...

Karishma - I completely agree. I am currently working with a company called MailPro who do exactly what you describe - you should check them out. To prevent it getting annoying - Gilt Group actually track it if you don't click it or just delete this and therefore send you emails less frequently so you can reduce the risk of this. But good quality less frequency is definitely the way to go. Good luck with the email campaign!