Monday, June 13, 2011

Personas - Threat or Opportunity for TV?

My background is in cable TV ad sales and I'm nowhere near fully aware of what potential the digital world has...I just know that it has a lot. I've been hoping to find out how digital marketing capabilities are better than TV and I've found the first of what I imagine will be many in the form of the personas discussion.

TV's strength has always been its combination of sheer scale and offering of a collective viewing experience. That said, a hit show can pull in a ton of viewers, but it's one-size-fits all. As a marketer, you just have to hope that the spot you spent six figures on will be seen by some of your target audience...and you only get to pick one target.

...which is where personas come in, because they allow you as a marketer to offer each of your target segments a tailored experience. That's something TV simply can't match and it strikes me as an amazing opportunity to apply psychological / psychographic research to highly targeted marketing. So, I wonder if there's a way to apply the persona approach to TV so advertisers can merge scale with customization. For all the talk of interactive TV being the future, there's very little insight into how it'll play out. Could it be something like programming with different, selectable perspectives or commentary, each tailored to a specific niche? Sort of like a DVD special feature on overdrive? I think that could be a cool idea; what I know for sure is that TV dinosaurs could learn a lot from ideas like personas if they're going to cut through all the clutter.

No comments: