Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Xbox and the Ultimate Impolite Ad Campaign

Microsoft announced today that they will be creating interactive ads for their Xbox video game console. This will allow them to run interactive "in game" advertising which they hope will grab the attention of the avid gamers. Doesn't this seem a little ridiculous? If you were a consumer who had just paid $300 for a console and then $50 for a game, would you then want advertisers trying to sell you stuff while your play that game? I get it that in tv the advertisers revenue pays for the content, but here, the consumer is paying for the content, so why should they be forced to receive advertising? I can't imagine this will be well received. Here is the full article below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/business/media/21xbox.html?_r=1&ref=technology

1 comment:

Adeel said...

I guess, they will be offering Free Online Games in case they want to display ads not for the ones you paid for. If they offer great games I can play for free I don't mind having the ads displayed for a while and I could give rest to my fingers.