Sunday, December 01, 2013

Is Twitter too niche to explode?

Twitter's recent IPO has raised the question of whether it is too complicated for the general public and will remain a niche service that does not justify the value of its IPO.  The naysayers argue that Twitter was not profitable at the time of its IPO, while Facebook was.  People have argued that the reason Twitter has been less popular than Facebook is because of the use of hashtags (#), which many have argued are hard to understand.  Others argue that Twitter is too clubby. 

In my view, these things make Twitter better.  I use both Facebook and Twitter, but prefer Twitter.  For me it is a great source for news.  Perhaps the long tail of the internet works much better for Twitter than it does for Facebook.  I would rather follow a company or music group on Twitter than like them on Facebook because the information that I get is better.  Furthermore, Facebook is now clogged up with too much useless information posted by my friends in my view.  Perhaps Twitter will never be as widely used as Facebook, but that does not mean it cannot be extremely profitable to marketers and useful to its users.

No comments: