Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Links and Notes from today's Open Source lecture...

Although it might have been a little early in the morning to follow my leaps from NCSA Mosaic to today's web API's, I thought the links might help:

Here's the Open Source guys.

My favorite list of Web API's is here.

And finally, the Mashable weblist, which has some short blurbs about Web 2.0 type companies

-----

After discussing LAMP as a major web enabler, I realized you might want a second opinion. So, I found one that agrees with me.

Several months ago, David Axmark and Monty Widenius of the MySQL team visited us in Sebastopol and they dropped a new term in our laps: LAMP. This term was popular in Germany, they said, to define how MySQL was used in conjunction with Linux, Apache, and either Perl, Python, or PHP. Their explanation of LAMP made a lightbulb go off in my head.


At the O'Reilly Network, our editors have been discussing how to unify and focus our open source coverage. ... The lightbulb that went off in my head was that LAMP represents the open source web platform. Most importantly, LAMP is the platform of choice for the development and deployment of high performance web applications. It is solid and reliable, and if Apache is any indicator, then LAMP sites predominate.


Full article

No comments: