Thursday, April 27, 2006

Wired News: You, To, Can Right Like a Blogger

Wired News: You, To, Can Right Like a Blogger:

Great commentary on blogging. While some believe that blogging will somehow naturally cause people to learn and gravitate to better writing, as this writer points out, that presumes people have the sense to distinguish the two and choose between them. Sadly though, most people prefer People to the New Yorker. It's definitely an open question I think - does the easy access of blogs and other internet tools improve the general discourse, merely by allowing more people to gain experience in participating in it?
"As a mere stripling, I was advised that if I hoped to become a good writer, I should write every day. More than that, I should read good writing every day. This can be accomplished on the internet as easily as it can by reading a book or magazine. But if you're the sort who prefers People to The New Yorker, well, again, what's the point?
So my riposte to Topsy was, while the internet may be a nifty vehicle for delivering one's polished prose and penetrating insights to an impatiently waiting world, it can't help you become a better writer if you, pardon my French, suck."

No comments: