Thursday, March 10, 2022

"Privacy? We talkin' 'bout privacy?"

In efforts to improve their privacy standards, Google announced in January 2020 that within two years they would remove third-party cookies from the Chrome product. Fast forward two years (now) and Goggle is singing a different tune. They're still committing to a "Privacy Sandbox" plan, but critics say the impact will be limited in terms of achieving true privacy. I've read that it is still possible for their new tools to uncover users' personal traits and still target them. So now what? While other sites are excelling in the privacy space, Google Chrome has the champion's advantage of earning over 63% of the global browser market. They have the ability to redefine privacy in their own way and still retain their users because the quality of their products are simply that good.

 

In this case I hate the game, not the player. Every consumer needs to understand that Google has a clear mission to optimize users' willingness to pay and I genuinely believe there are people out there who feel like their lives are better for it (the ad targeting). Most people I know have totally given up the need to protect themselves. "Protect myself from what?" my friend once said. "They have all my information anyway. I willingly participate in the system, give me the ads! Impress me!" I laughed at the thought of turning this dooming concept into my own game. Great ads get my clicks and maybe my money; all others will be shunned. 

 

https://www.wired.com/story/google-floc-cookies-chrome-topics/

Note: The title of this blog post is in reference to a famous Allen Iverson interview. If you don't know it, Google it!


No comments: