Sunday, April 01, 2018

Google Gets Its Hands on GIFs

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram or engage in any text/GroupMe/WhatsApp with me, you know I love a good GIF. It's almost a problem, because I have to remind myself not to use them in professional settings (although I am leaving finance and heading back to tech, so I think that is a little more acceptable). I am not the only one either, as GIFs are more popular than ever. Just as a picture is worth a thousand words, a GIF is worth more than a million words.

This is my favorite GIF and is heavily in rotation currently on my phone

And Google announced this past week that it is acquiring GIF platform Tenor. Tenor will continue to operate as a separate brand within Google, but the GIFs would be featured on many of its services going forward. This is huge for brands and advertisers as there are multiple ways to utilize GIFs in digital marketing strategies. For example, brands can tell a story, promote a product, or use on social media channels.

Currently, Tenor works with advertisers to create sponsored GIFs that nest into its searches, which offer a great opportunity to generate a lot of engagement. These can help reinvigorate digital ads with some personality. It's no secret that search ads have become stale and impersonal, and this is a space where GIFs could provide benefit.

Tenor seems to be a natural fit with Google as its positioned as a search company that plays in the social and messaging space. I think that GIFs liven up conversations and easily capture a mood/vibe/feeling. I think Google's move is a wise one, because it's easy to see the integration into digital. Plus, they just make a conversation more fun.



http://adage.com/article/digital/google-s-acquisition-tenor-means-brands/312896/

No comments: