Monday, September 14, 2020

Nike is Setting the Standard for Omnichannel Loyalty in Every Industry

Article:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/forrester/2019/12/26/nike-is-setting-the-standard-for-omnichannel-loyalty-in-every-industry/#723068af1ebb


Per last week's class discussion, Nike is one company that has a very seamless omnichannel experience across its website and mobile apps. The apps' abilities to build community, solicit feedback, provide workout inspiration and a great digital shopping experience foster unparalleled loyalty, with each of these capabilities becoming even more important during COVID-19. In reading this article, I thought about a recent shopping experience with Nike.

I regularly use the Nike Run Club app for the Guided Runs feature and to track my mileage. In this app, I can see how many miles I have run with my Nike running shoes. The app sends notifications about other possible running shoes I might like based on my purchase history and running patterns. When I click on these notifications, I am taken to the Nike app to browse further, and to have other products recommended for me. After a few days of pondering whether to purchase new running shoes or not, I receive a notification from Rakuten, a coupon app, letting me know that Nike is having a sale, and that I could receive 8% cash back for shopping there. I click on the Rakuten notification, and am taken directly to the main Nike app, where I both purchase the running shoes, and an additional item from their sale. My entire customer journey in purchasing running shoes involved Nike - from working out, to researching running shoes, to making the actual purchase. Every point of the customer journey was also digital - I did not have to step into any brick and mortar location to browse shoes or learn about sales. I will continue to be loyal because I enjoy that all of my purchase history, wish list, and workout history is stored with them. My one critique of their omnichannel strategy would be to combine all of their apps into one - especially since the shopping experience is best on the main Nike app.

No comments: