Thursday, January 28, 2010

Apple = future. Kindle and Nook, nice try.

There has been a lot of discussion about the iPad and the Kindle, but not much mention of the Nook. Since I'm an owner of both eReaders (long story), I thought I'd provide my two cents on all three devises and why I think the iPad IS a revolutionary devise.

The Kindle did a great job of turning paper into text. The Nook tried to do the same thing, but did a poor job of differentiating itself from every other eReader. The problem: both devises suck.

They both are so poorly designed that they're actually painful to use! Buying restricted content from either Amazon or B&N doesn't really bother me (I used to buy paper books all the time), but what does bother me is that these devises are actually limited by their own design.

iPad has no limitations. It is basically the entry into a worm hole that allows me to consume any format of digital content I want... with joy and happiness. It warms my soul just thinking about it.

Imagine throwing away your stupid Dell and carrying a slim iPad that has your entire life and everything you need... all tied to your own personal cloud that you can sink and access from anywhere. Most people weren't excited about the idea of a "bigger iPhone" because most of the 140,000 "apps" were stupid and a waste of binary code.

However, iPad apps actually have the potential to be useful. I think Apple will either install Snow Leopard or design a whole new operating system that throws out the "windows" experience all together. Also, finger browsing is soooo much faster than using a mouse and has so much more potential to revolutionize the way we interact with a computer.

Apple = future. Kindle and Nook, nice try.










2 comments:

Arman said...

I think that iPad has an advantage, but think it will be short-lived. I think iPad is an intermediate step towards something that will revolutionize laptop and phone systems. however, at this point iPad has an advantage. Apple as with iPod was able to secure the content.

Amazon backed down in the dispute with a publishing house Macmillan and will not set the same pricing scheme as does Apple for its iPad.

More about this in the link below.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c52d74a4-0f31-11df-8a19-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

Clearly, Apple once again demonstrated a grea market entry strategy. However, the competition will follow. I wonder what Google is up to...

Immy1459 said...

I agree that the pricing and consumer model for the iPad isn't necessarily there yet. But it wasn't completely there when the iPod launched either.

Apple is ingenious at creating a whole market where one never existed. They were able to save the music industry in the face of piracy and declining sales with the iPod. Perhaps they can reprise their magic to save the publishing/print world with the iPad.

Only time will tell. :)