Saturday, January 30, 2010

Your money or your (social) life!

If you were a black-hatted hacker, what kind of devious malware would you spend your time writing- a program that cracks my bank account or a program that steals my twitter password? Easy choice, right? It may surprise you to learn that hacker-invented malware programs that steal social networking account information outnumber similar programs directed at stealing bank passwords nearly three to one, and the margin appears to be growing, according to a recent study by Kaspersky Labs.

This makes some sense. Rather than march me to my own ATM at the point of a gun, hackers could pretend to be me and then fleece all 426 of my facebook friends at once. Call it an investment in their future. Dirtbags.

Related story in the New York Times is here.

No comments: