Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I just dont get the Ipad

I don't claim to be very up to date on all of the latest innovations from Apple, but buying the IPad I don't really get (leaving aside the terrible name.) It is clear that we are back at a tablet, which failed the first time around, and that ultimately the kindle and sony e-reader were destined to become portable computers. What I don't get is why consumers keep buying the latest Apple product when Apple has a history of releasing version 2 not long after the 1st version comes out. They will add things like a camera, a phone feature that you can connect to your iphone, ect... They did this with the ipod and then the iphone. Why not wait until the 1st version has passed, the ipad has proven its worth and then buy? I wouldn't be surprised if the next version has gaming capability 10x better than ps3. They will add features and get money from consumers twice. I understand the strategy from their point of view, but fail to understand the mass need to get whatever they put out right away.

As Apple makes its way through all consumer electronics including TV's, videogames, down to micro-waves, I can't help but feel that they will end up becoming Sony and taking their power for granted, and ultimately allow new Apple's to pop up. Of course, I may just be bitter that my I have the old Ipod and all of this is non-sensical.

1 comment:

Garry Spencer said...

In addition to the missing features already mentioned, this kind of blows my mind: the iPad does not have standard USB or SD card connection slots. This seems incomprehensible given the prevalence of these connection devices, until you learn that Apple will be selling adapters separately--at a high margin too, no doubt. This reminds me of when I bought my iPod and could not figure out how to plug it into the wall outlet--I needed to purchase an additional AC adapter plug for around $20 that probably cost very little to manufacture.

One other good point the article makes about Apple's incentive to not include such devices is that it prevents consumers from buying the lowest level of memory (16 GB) and expanding it themselves through use of SD cards.

In the end, because the device's name has the "i" prefix, has been revealed by Steve Jobs in some clever flashy way, and looks sleek and hip, people will happily pay for it and then keep paying for all of the extras that add a significant revenue stream to Apple. The "i"s win yet again.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/27/apple-has-a-solution-for-the-ipads-missing-sd-card-slot-and-usb-port-adapters/