Friday, January 29, 2010

Here's a solution - Just alter your scandalous behavior

Quit your whining. Eric Schmidt is tired of you complaining about how his company is invading your privacy - He says: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." There's some truth to that right?? I mean, it seems fair to say that if you don't want people to know what you're doing, you certainly should not be doing it on the internet. Never mind what came first - the fact of the matter is, what you do every day, on and off the internet can be tracked and if I were you, I'd be flattered that someone found me as interesting.

Before I get to the point of this posting, I wanted to quickly share my definition of "invasion of privacy" - in my world, it is the "aggregation of public information in one neat location". Here's an example that neatly illustrates my point. In 2005, CNET allegedly googled Schmidt and then published what it found.

I strongly feel that the salary information should have been left in solitude in the dark corners of the 10K, free from disturbances from his other equally dull info such as:

He and his wife Wendy live in the affluent town of Atherton, Calif., where, at a $10,000-a-plate political fund-raiser five years ago, presidential candidate Al Gore and his wife Tipper danced as Elton John belted out "Bennie and the Jets."

(FYI - this is old news from 2005, I heard, or more accurately, read on some google search that he's now a big fan of Elton John.)

And it's not as if you have any will power to ditch google if they were to do such a thing.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is because last night's privacy discussion made me think of the CNBC Original Series about Google and privacy aired December of 2009.

You can watch it here.

I credit this episode for making me obsessively aware of every word I type into google search.

No comments: