Friday, September 27, 2013

How much is too much?


 
Is there a point when personalised digital marketing strategies aimed at encouraging you to buy something does just the opposite?

I was recently looking at buying a piece of furniture from the discount online store Joss & Main. I saw a chair; I looked at it on two different occasions and decided that I did not want to buy it. However, since then (which was about 3 or 4 weeks ago) I have been chased around the internet by this chair. Wherever I am on the internet – so is the chair. It is always there whether I am on Facebook, a news channel, a google search page, or even a local news site for the Western Isles in Scotland, this chair is there, following me around.

The first few times the chair re-appeared on to my screen uninvited, I thought ‘hum, maybe I made a mistake, maybe I should re-look at this chair’. However, by the 4th time in a day this chair had appeared on my screen, especially after a number of weeks not only do I not like the chair at all I have been put of looking Joss & Main for any other furniture for two reasons. Firstly, I am not sure I can cope with being digitally stalked by a random bit of furniture I decided not to buy and secondly, the campaign to get me to buy this chair felt too obtrusive.

Yet, this personalised strategy of reminding you about a piece of furniture that you had looked at but hadn’t bought has worked on me before; I saw a pillow that I wanted to buy for my mother, I forgot to buy it but had put in the check out. Joss & Main reminded me about this pillow and that I had not bought it.

Companies such as these need to find a happy medium between a personalised marketing strategy and appearing too intrusive. Each case is different and depends as much on the individual involved and what they were looking to purchase. With digital marketing becoming increasingly personalised firms will need to increase their understanding of the scale of personalized advertisement and making sure it does not become too intrusive.  

No comments: