Sunday, September 28, 2014

SMS Text Message Marketing

I was browsing one of my favorite clothing retailers this morning and I noticed something strange on the homepage banner.  It said "text this number with this code to receive 30% off your next order."  Sounds good, right?  Then I read the fine print underneath that stated "By texting us you are subscribing to text message alerts."  Maybe I'm just behind the times, but I have never experienced text subscription marketing before.  I have already given this retailer my e-mail address and receive countless emails that I almost always send directly to the trash, do I really want to give them my phone number and get inundated with texts too?  This seems fairly invasive. Although since other marketers don't have my phone number, I don't get many texts anyway =D

Text message promotions are definitely a smart method to get customers purchasing
.  These coupons are sent in real time which encourages consumers to either shop immediately on their mobile devices or to enter the store if they are nearby, as opposed to waiting until they get home and are in front of a computer.  Whereas many people ignore their emails for extended periods of time, text messages seem more exigent and require a call to action.

According to JD Supra, this type of mobile marketing is gaining momentum.  Retailers are even conducting analytics to send target text messages to consumers based upon their demonstrated interests, which has increased sales.  Text messaging seems more personal than email and targeted texts are even more so; this kind of nuanced marketing can make customers feel like a retailer knows them and cares about them, which in turn increase brand loyalty.

I have not personally experienced a targeted marketing text but I'm sure I will be soon.

Source: JD Supra

No comments: