Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Splash Page Ad at NYTimes.com

Wow! For the first time, the New York Times seems to be placing an ad (for SAP) as a splash page, which you have to pass to get to their home page. Have they done this before? It makes sense as a business decision, given their dismal financial situation (although apparently they're not going bankrupt: http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/1/new-york-times-were-not-going-bankrupt-in-may-nyt).

On the other hand, maybe it's not a wise business decision. I read that NYTimes.com is the most commonly set homepage. I wonder how this will affect their readership. NYTimes.com is my homepage, but if the splash ads become more aggressive or difficult to sidestep, I will change my homepage to something less irritating.

It seems as if internet marketing is poised to both save and destroy old media.

No comments: