Saturday, August 03, 2013

Google Music vs Spotify

I've tried both Google Music and Spotify, and found them to be very similar for my basic music needs. For $10/month you get unlimited streaming, mobile apps with offline caching, and a radio feature with either service.

After today's discussion on the evolution of music discovery online, I realized how the two services take very different approaches to discovery. Spotify takes a social approach, so you are encouraged to find music your facebook friends are listening to.

Google Music, on the other hand, takes a very Google-ish approach. I constantly find their mobile app throwing me back to their "listen now" screen, which seems to be a mix of my library and other songs I might like. For the "other" songs, where do they come from? Even if they are algorithmically chosen for me (think organic search), how long until Google starts charging for placement in that screen (like PPC)?

No comments: