Saturday, August 03, 2013

Niche Marketing

In class we talked about Google's associate network, where a company can advertise on blogs, and other peripheries of the world wide web, to capture the long tail consumers.  I recently came across one such example. A colleague of mine is on a lesser known diet called the Dukan diet. Although not as popular as the weight watchers or Jenny Craig etc., this diet has turned out to be fairly effective for him.  But enough plugging the diet. He said that he was struggling with finding enough recipes for foods that were "Dukan compliant, that is, till he discovered a whole series of blogs dedicated to this diet.  On these blogs, people shared their stories and experiences, and more importantly, at least from his perspective, recipes! Curious, I decided to check out these blogs. As I was going through one of these blogs, I noticed targeted ads on these websites.  For an untrained eye, it would seem like a coincidence that all the ads were for servicer providers that help you track your weight, help you buy new clothes, etc., but for a newly minted digital media expert like the writer, it was abundantly clear that my colleague was being targeted. However, this time he didn't mind getting targeted! Hmm.. may be I should try out the Dukan diet as well.
 
Here are some of the blogs that I was referring to:
 
 
 
 

No comments: