Saturday, August 03, 2013

Product Placement in Reality TV Shows

Guilty...I watch the Bachelorette. In this week's episode Desiree took the remaining three guys to Antigua...a seemingly innocent and exciting choice. However, as the episode progressed there was more talk of the hotel, how great the amenities were, and how beautiful and fun Antigua is. I felt like I was watching a one hour ad for the Island. Why are reality shows diluting their value (note- sarcasm here) by so obviously promoting certain products, brands and places? How does this type of placement advertising compare to more traditional forms in terms of ROI? Is this a new phenomena or am I just now aware of it because of our informative digital marketing class ;) no matter what the answer, I can't say ill be partaking in the Bachelorettee any time soon....
 

No comments: