Friday, August 09, 2013

Why Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post

As I'm sure most of you have heard - or maybe not - Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, bought the Washington Post - with his personal funds, not Amazon's. Lots of theories are floating around as to why he would do this given the newspaper industry is dying. However, I think this may be a brilliant move. The publishing industry in general needs a burst of innovation to turn things around. Bezos has a track record for getting this done and well! If he does this right, he may be the pioneer that steers around publishing. All Eyes are watching!

Here's an article with other theories - made me laugh:
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130806220121-24171-why-jeff-bezos-bought-the-washington-post-six-theories

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Personally, I don't think that he bought it for business reasons, otherwise it would have been with Amazon funds and made a part of the company.
For someone with his wealth, it's a small purchase and I would view it as a vanity or a personal purchase.
Only time will tell though, and I do believe in Bezos' business acumen.