Saturday, January 24, 2015

Email Marketing by Fashion Brands: Email me... but not too often.

I am guilty of signing up for email distribution lists of certain fashion brands and then getting mad when they keep emailing me.  That's why I found this article on Econsultancy particularly interesting.   It investigated different criteria of email marketing including the frequency of emails, use of subject lines, email content, special offers and sales, editorial voice, personalization and others.  These tools are ways in which the company tries to convince the email recipient to open the email and then, hopefully, take an action.  

The frequency and content of emails are the two things that effect me the most.  The most extreme example was Gap, not only did they email me almost every day but their emails were full of content and featured clothes that I never buy there.  The author of this article experienced the same thing:





Gap emailed 7 times in one week.  There are different reasons why these fashion brands send out emails - brand awareness, customer service, selling product, special offers etc.  But I agree with the author, there is a fine line between the right amount of email and too much email.  In terms of content, I originally signed up for the emails because I wanted to know about their sales, specifically on their active wear.  However, when I get multiple sales emails in a one week (rarely on their active wear) then I just assume they're always having a sale on clothes I don't care about and I don't need their emails to tell me anymore.  Needless to say, I unsubscribed.


No comments: