Sunday, January 25, 2015

In response to “Training, Tanning, and Branding with the Bikini Bodybuilding Stars of Instagram”:

Somewhat recently I posted on Instagram that I was looking for inspirational fitness/running/health accounts (people) to follow.  A few of my friends, some close and some Internet acquaintances, responded offering up accounts. Among the first to  reply sent through the following names:
@massy.arias
@cuchira
@annephung
@leanna_carr
@fitalicious_me

About a year prior, someone had mentioned to me that I should follow @followthelita, a woman named Lita Lewis who trains relentlessly, shares healthy recipes, and posts a ton of the type of selfies that make me wanna put down my double-fisted string cheese.  With her 298,000 followers, Lita has also given the hashtag #ThickFIT a face.  She is beautiful, and also looks like she might be capable of straight-lifting a midsize sedan or two.  Although it is outside of the realm of possibility that I will ever look like or train like Lita, hers quickly became one of my absolute favorite IG accounts to show up in my feed.

When I asked my friends which fitness accounts were their favorites, I fully expected to get back some more-fashion-than-fitness, cool, ultra stylish, influencer types. Because don’t get me wrong, posts from chicks like @adrianneho definitely have me slowing down the scroll to stop and admire.  But this was not quite what I received back, no.  Out of the list mentioned above, I was surprised to see that most were powerlifting, figure competition, wouldn’t-be-caught-dead-on-an-elliptical types.  Most of them seem like they train to be strong rather than slim, far beyond what years ago would have been expected or acceptable for a lady.  (The one who doesn’t fit this true powerlifting category power lifts her own weight as an awesome, androgynous yogi.)

The article mentions that the National Powerlifting and Bodybuilding competitions now prominently feature the bikini category, in an effort to re-introduce female bodybuilding as NOT freakish and juiced up. The athletes that are featured in the article have built not only their bodies, but huge Instagram followings in the process.  These massive IG communities have gotten them sponsorships and endorsement deals, and not all due to simply posting selfies for young girls to gawk at.  The all-access nature of Instagram and other social media channels allows their followings to get inspired, ask questions, and then “do try this at home."

Between the IGers that were sent my way and the ones this article mentions, I noticed a few things that might be changing the way digital marketers seek out brand ambassadors and endorsement relationships:
1.  The 'ideal female body’ was invented by a male.  Not so much the shape of the body itself, but the idea that there is one ideal type that resonates with women themselves simply does not resonate.
2.  The best endorsements in this space are positioned as advice, how-to’s, workout plans, eating plans, and “fitspo” (fit inspiration) - NOT just a great image or video.
3.  Androgyny might be making a play in the near future. We’ll see...

No comments: