Saturday, January 31, 2015

A fun story of how Facebook's targeted ads are served (and can be manipulated)


I started learning about Facebook ads last year when a couple of my other CBS friends and I wanted to test the market for a startup idea that we were developing. During that process, I played with the Facebook ads quite a bit and learned many basics of online advertising. It was incredible to have the power of targeting just a certain segment of the population based on many factors such as geographic location, age, gender, hobbies, and many more. We threw multiple $50 campaigns to gather data on our customer interests right from our hotel room.

I then stumbled upon a story of a guy who spent $1.70 in total to prank his roommate, by serving very specific ads just for him. Instead of summarizing the article, I will let you enjoy the article in its original form: http://mysocialsherpa.com/the-ultimate-retaliation-pranking-my-roommate-with-targeted-facebook-ads/


No comments: