Sunday, January 28, 2018

It's Personal

I am a person of interest at a little store on the Upper East Side. The trendy women who work at Meg know my name, what my style is like, and also that I tend to hide shopping bags from my husband and sneak them into our apartment 2 blocks away. They KNOW me.

Fresh Direct also knows me. They know that I tend to order organic frozen fruits and have access to all my previous meal kit purchases. Fresh Direct has an algorithm that knows what I bought last week and what I've put in and taken out of my shopping cart.

It's a different type of personalization and knowledge, but where companies have struggled is to merge the two. Gathering data points and algorithms does not a relationship make. So how are brands planning on merging the personalized relationship and individual gets in a brick and mortar with the incredible information gathering that occurs online?

Over 70% of brands are offering personalized experiences, and this numbers is currently at it's peak. This is due to customer reaction to personalized offers, recommendations, and experiences. Beauty and sports brands are currently excelling at this, although it's only the beginning.

Glossier, a make-up brand that is the spin-off of an extremely successful beauty blog, is able to make sophisticated recommendations to its online customers based on the blog posts that they are reading on Into the Gloss. This personalization is quickly shifting from recommendations to individualization... and currently content is king. Creating an experience and an environment that is desirable for customers whether in the store or out.

We're finding that brands need to actually let go of the control, gather the data that is personal and relevant, and make it easier for people to get what they want, but on their own terms.

http://www.adweek.com/digital/personalization-is-a-priority-for-retailers-online-and-off-but-its-harder-than-it-looks-in-an-off-the-shelf-world/ 

No comments: