Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shopping online?

There are so many retail e-commerce websites out there selling clothing and accessories. It makes me wonder if there will be a huge dip in brick and mortar retail stores.

I say this as I am someone who two years ago would have never bought something online. However, with sites like gilt.com and Beyondthrack.com, I am really incentivized to do more shopping online. I can get the same product I can buy at Bloomingdales or Saks for 30% of the price - I love it!! I am a bargain hunter and I never realized how easy it is to find bargains when they are all sitting in one location: the world wide web.

There are also talks about virtual world shopping that would enhances the online retail shopping experience. This will allow people to communicate with their friends or shopping mates as they browse and shop online. All of this means that more and more people will flock to the online and are less likely to shop in store.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing - but I do love knowing where I can get a deal at all times! :)

1 comment:

Osahon Akpata said...

Shopping online for clothing can be frustrating, but some stores are making it much easier to try things on without much of a penalty for returning. Amazon.com’s Prime service allows customers for a flat $75 annual fee to get free shipping on all items and return goods for no extra charge. The real explosion in online shopping will occur when it becomes main-stream to buy groceries and sundry items online. Companies like Fresh Direct already offer home delivery of a number of essential goods, if you are human and like to eat. There is still room in the market for the aggregator of stores where local grocery delivery service may be provided using smart technology or an automatic replenishment schedule. Online pet-food store Dr. Fosters and Smith has such a service for dog food yet I yearn for the day most household items are available in such a form after all, when last did you change your brand of toothpaste or underarm deodorant?