Sunday, October 09, 2011

Smartphone Usage

I recently came across an article on eMarketer.com that comments on Smartphones and what device implies about its users (http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1008626).

What is most amazing about this article is that you could have spent 15 minutes on a new york city subway observing individuals on their morning commute and reached these same conclusions. You'd likely notice that nearly everyone getting off at wall street or any other midtown location would be carrying a blackberry-- mainly because it's the only approved mobile device by their IT departments. You also likely find few apps downloaded to that device. When you are in a "work mindset" one of the last things you are going to do is download a facebook app or angry birds to your phone. If you are anything like me you'd reserve the app downloads for your personal phone.

So, Mr. eMarketer what does my cellphone say about me? Crack open my purse and you'll find my blackberry (for work) and my Android phone (for personal use). Due to company mandates you cant merge these two devices so I carry them both around. Do I count on two device "lists"? I'm still the same person. I've got the same annual income and purchasing habits. I'm just as likely to book a major trip, buy electronics, purchase apparel online, and consume media wherever I am. I'd expect that the landscape and personalities of consumers and their smartphones will continue to evolve especially if consumers continue to own multiple devices.

What's even more interesting is that instead of having one device to make my life better I seem to have way too many. At a recent conference I marveled at how heavy my bag was. Inside was the following: 1 blackberry, 1 android, 1 iPad (for taking notes), 1 iPod (for exercising) and 1 laptop (to log into company systems). I'm curious what eMarketer would say about that one? I'm either uber connected or just the victim of way too much technology!


No comments: