Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cookies: Clear or keep?


Some people feel threatened when they learn that digital marketers and advertisers will trace the users’ cookies to show them the ads that they would most likely be interested in. Others however have understood the strategy behind it all and have embraced the idea of seeing what they’d be most likely to look for otherwise.
After going online to get customized party favors, I left the page for an hour or so. To my surprise, to the right of another website, I got a special offer discount code for the purchase that I had previously started. The ad had a clear call to action and made me go back to my cart to get a discount on my purchase. The ad said that it was a one-time offer and that it would expire over the weekend. Wasn’t this great? Just for this time, at exactly the moment when I needed to buy this, there was an exclusive and great discount…. I hurried back, introduced my discount code, and paid for the favors. Even though I very much wanted to get them, this extra push made any doubt leave my mind.
So I wonder if there would be a good reason for me not to want advertisers to know what I want. They are offering me deals, promotions, and offers that I would most probably miss out on. Like me, many people want to know when there are special discounts on something that they have wanted to buy but have been hesitant because of its price tag. Also, others would like to view recommendations on items that would enhance their overall experience when using complementary items.   
By clearing my cookies, I would have never received the discount offer, nor would I get recommendations from other advertisers on a regular basis. I enjoy receiving information on the things I like, and I definitely prefer getting ads for the things that I like rather than random ads that only take up space in my browsing experience.
The question is: would you clear your cookies, or take advantage of being targeted?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I personally hate cookies because I don’t like to have the idea that somebody is watching or rather tracking me. Discount or not… most of them have your emails anyway! They will still flood you with all sorts of crazy deals through emails. I get over 500 emails everyday from my office account! From insurance to even organic coffins! Yes… organic coffins! No joke … It is really annoying! Sometimes, I accidently delete emails from clients because there are so many of them.
Well, back to cookies… the “extra push” that you mention is almost like TV commercial …Call now in the next minute and you will not only get one but two for the price of one… If they don’t get you the next hour… sooner or later …they will try to get you through email or even a text message though your cellphone …”Hi! Sorry we missed you … there is a BIG sale going on now …Save Extra 10% Buy it now…Free Shipping!” To me, that silly 10% discount with these people haunting me is a nightmare. I rather sit on my chair and cut coupons and have time scan while I check out!
I guess it really depend on the feeling and the psychology of the buyer like the sense of opportunity or urgency on buying something. Targeting the fear of the buyer that it may sold out or even regret and bang your head against the wall for missing out the extra discount.
~ just a personal experience
Roy