Friday, March 27, 2020

Coronavirus marketing emails

Over the last two weeks, it seems that every company I have ever transacted with has sent me an email letting me know their coronavirus safety protocols and providing general business updates.  It has been shocking to see just how many email distributions I am on.  I even received an email update from a restaurant I last went to when I was a senior in college at Penn State; the email let me know about their new hours, delivery/takeout-only protocol, and commitment to health and safety.  Since I have no intention of visiting central PA any time soon, this email couldn't be less relevant to me.  It is annoying.

Many companies are capitalizing on the opportunity to reach out to customers with the hopes of generating some goodwill for when we are able to resume business as usual, or perhaps to drum up a few online sales in the meantime.  However, the deluge of emails has been overwhelming, and some companies totally miss the mark in their communications.  A New York Times article discusses the different strategies employed by companies, and why some tactics are more/less effective than others.  Mixing in a sale notification into the same communication as a heartfelt update about the wellness of the staff just dilutes the message and cheapens the outreach.  Consumers are wise enough to read between the lines, and can tell when an email is disingenuous.  Some companies should think twice before sending out random email blasts to their entire database of customers.  In this day and age, every bit of communication must be perfect, and companies can't really afford to make mistakes. 

No comments: