Friday, March 06, 2020

Will Coronovirus be the end of some retailers?

As I spanned the Tech Crunch and Business Insider pages, Coronovirus impact dominated the headlines. SXSW, conferences, flights all being cancelled as a precaution against the spread of virus. Just this week, three private equity conferences I was planning to attend were cancelled. If the spread continues, will people stay inside and operate their whole lives on Amazon?

I personally think the hype is a little overblown. I'm not sure the Bain looking masks I see on the subway are a necessity, but I guess I'll let you know in a few weeks when they ultimately get the last laugh.

Many retailers were hobbling as is before the virus. High debt balances, declining traffic, and tariffs were certainly hurting business. Is Coronanvirus the last straw? I certainly don't think JC Penney, Mens Wearhouse, and other declining retailers will be helped in 2020 in any way. Could the virus accelerate the demise of many brick and morter retailers that was inevitable over time?

Time will tell.

No comments: