Friday, March 13, 2020

To capitalize or not to capitalize on corona-crisis? That is the question.

Over the course of the past week or two, I’ve been fascinated by the ways companies have capitalized on the crisis surrounding the coronavirus (primarily through digital given “social-distancing”). A few main callouts:

1.     With said “social-distancing”, with communication flocking to digital formats, there is a huge market opportunity to digitally market. The question will be, what companies are nimble enough to capitalize on the opportunity quickly?
a.     I thought Tito’s vodka had an opportunity with the below that they could responded in a way that was responsible but also more engaging than simply re-iterating CDC guidelines. 

b.     I’ve also found the amount of email I’ve been receiving from businesses to be astounding. Seemingly every business list I’m on feels they need to release statements regarding how they specifically are aware of and dealing with the virus outbreak. One specifically caught my eye – it was Lumin, a men’s face-care product company. They released an email on 3/12 promoting the launch of a new product and ultimately must’ve received some sort of public backlash or feedback as being insensitive. Today, I was sent another email from the founders apologizing.


No comments: