Friday, March 06, 2020

Debunking Spotify's "top fan" notifications

Over the last couple weeks, my social media feeds have been littered with friends' screenshots of the "top fan" notifications from Spotify.  The messages usually say something like "You are one of Kendrick Lamar's top 1% fans worldwide!"  As an avid music fan and heavy user of Spotify, I was surprised I hadn't encountered a similar message myself, and decided to dig in to learn more about this new marketing tactic. 

After doing some research, I found an informative article on the New York Times discussing this new element of Spotify's marketing strategy.  Apparently, these messages, which are still in early phases of testing, are designed to drum up excitement among certain listeners in the hopes that users will share the screenshots widely on social media.   It seems to be working, as my Instagram feed is covered in these exact posts. 

While all user data is tracked (Spotify is open about its data collection and usage practices), the campaign is designed so only certain people will receive the "top fan" notification.  The goal appears to be to make certain listeners feel special and encourage bragging, while people like me who are excluded from the notifications group will be left with a sensation that maybe we should be listening to more music.   Manufactured FOMO at its finest. 


No comments: