Thursday, February 04, 2010

IMAX not just for kids

“IMAX, the Box-Office Supercharger” read the headline at a BusinessWeek article. It seems that Hollywood studios are increasingly relying on the giant screens for a picture to have a strong opening weekend at the box office. Warner Bros decided to wait for two weeks to release the sixth Harry Potter movie because Transformers 2 had already booked those dates at the IMAX.

The last time I went to an IMAX theatre must have been ten years ago when I watched some kind of dinosaurs movie. I really liked the experience but I never thought I would go back there as an adult. It was just a one time experience for kids.

Last December, about a week after Avatar opened in London, I remember trying to get tickets to watch it at the IMAX in Waterloo. Everything was fully booked and the only available times were at crazy hours like 4am and 8 am. I ended up watching it in 3D at a normal theatre, but even then I still wished I could have watched it at the IMAX.

I guess IMAX is not just for kids anymore.

No comments: