Friday, July 27, 2012

A Paradigm Shift is Needed for Companies to "Get It" in the Mobile Channel


In class, we've been lately discussing how mobile marketing is all the rage nowadays in the digital advertising world. While a hot topic, this channel draws considerably much less marketing spend than traditional outlets. It's inevitable that consumers will spend a disproportionate amount of time on mobile devices compared to watching TV or reading print media. Advertising executives better think ahead and embrace mobile marketing if they wish to outshine rivals in competing for consumers' mindshare. A recent Mashable piece identifies "6 Habits of Highly Effective Mobile Marketers" they should heed. One of the most insightful points it highlights is that advertisers should position their companies to be more relevant to their audiences in the mobile channel - effective marketing will mean more than just pushing ads on smart phone and tablet screens. For example, if I use an app developed by a retailer that provides me with value-added tools, such as product reviews and delivery capabilities, I would be better engaged and have a much more positive impression of its brand. Some notable examples of apps built by companies that "get it" on my iPhone are:

1) Kayak - lets me track flights in addition to booking hotel nights and car rentals
2) BofA - allows me to find the nearest ATM while fulfilling every banking need that comes to mind
3) Amex - offers me relevant deals based on where I swipe my card and enables me to settle my bills on the phone

Most companies realize that mobile marketing is not to be ignored, but they fail to form a proactive, holistic approach to taking advantage of it. While the ROI may be intangible in many cases, the denominator for mobile is low relative to the amount they allocate to other marketing campaigns. By investing modest dollar figures in a mobile development center, such as WalmartLabs, companies could position themselves for substantial upside potential in this new era of consumer engagement.

No comments: